I am impressed that divorce software exist. Quite frankly, I am excited by the prospect of a potentially expanding and competitive field of divorce software that has the potential to rival divorce lawyer(s) in some situations.
For years, people have complained about their family law lawyer(s) but up until recently, there wasn’t much of an alternative. Most people would have been forced to walk into a court building and struggle along to figure out how to fill out government forms that most people are likely to find confusing and complex.
Now, there are software systems that can potentially help people feel more empowered to take back control of their lives, of their family matters and of their finances. Fear is a reality for so many navigating divorce and related matters.
Technology has the potential ability to relieve that fear for a bargain price compared to that of a conventional lawyer(s).
There is an entire industry dedicated to family law aka divorce and high conflict custody and/or divorce. I consider divorce to be just that, going through the difficult and mundane divorce paperwork and the business of dividing assets much like a business transaction versus a high conflict divorce and/or custody battle where two people end up fighting over everything and anything and often need to involve all kinds of experts in an effort and a hope to resolve the conflict, just in case you’re wondering what the difference between divorce and high conflict divorce is. When I think high conflict divorce, I think expensive.
The entire industry that I am referring to is very lucrative, $50 billion a year (3). I once spotted a video advertisement for a family law conference for lawyers in Las Vegas, of all places, that promised to educate lawyers on how to secure the most lucrative and best outcome(s) for their divorce clients. When I watched this, I thought of dollar signs.
Let’s get to that DIY Divorce Software!
- Rosen Law Firm website in North Carolina advertises DIY software with numerous features for all kinds of life situations that looks extremely appealing (1). Currently, this DIY software is advertised as $199/month or $995/year (1). This seems like an incredible bargain to me.
- Legal Atoms website for Washington state residents made news in 2020 for helping people not only with divorces but specifically with various types of protective orders. The prices currently listed on their website range from $0 to $900. I did a video review while exploring the Legal Atoms website and this video review can be found here.
- “It’s Over Easy” appears to offer DIY Divorce Software services in multiple U.S. states and appears to focus on uncontested divorces (4).
- Legal Zoom appears to offer a DIY divorce software system in multiple U.S. states that seems to also focus on an “uncontested divorce” but I could not locate the price (5).
- Rosen Law Firm, April 22nd 2020, <https://www.rosen.com/online/>
- Wilkinson & Finkbeiner, LLP 2018, April 22nd 2020, <https://www.wf-lawyers.com/divorce-statistics-and-facts/>
- Divorce Corp, April 22nd 2020, <https://www.divorcecorp.com/>
- It’s Over Easy, LLC, April 22nd 2020, <https://www.itsovereasy.com/>
- LegalZoom.com, Inc., April 22nd 2020, <https://divorce.legalzoom.com>
- LegalAtoms, December 28th 2020 <https://legalatoms.com/>
Love this content? Please consider supporting the podcast. https://anchor.fm/unraveledhumanbehavior/support
Included links do not imply an endorsement. The information included outside of what is referenced is based upon my opinion and life experience. Information included is for informational, entertainment and/or educational purposes only. This does NOT establish a clinical relationship with anyone. Please consult with a licensed behavioral health clinician in your area for personalized assistance with your unique situation. Thank you.